I need to start this blog today with the fact that I feel better than I have in years. I may not be losing weight fast, but without the diet cokes and processed food, I have lost a lot of inches and I have a lot of energy. My run today was awesome. But it has taken about three months for this feeling to really take full effect. Okay with that said, Roomie and I really enjoy the Fish Tacos I shared with you on 3.23.15, so that was on the menu for tonight’s dinner. We were out of flour tortillas last time we had the fish tacos so we used corn tortillas; but I prefer the flour. I had to run to the post office around 4:30 and decided to run into the grocery and pick up flour tortillas. After I got home I flipped the bag of tortillas over to look at the ingredients, WHAT, the flour tortillas had 21 ingredients, and this is not counting the ingredients within ingredients. They contained items such as fumaric acid, cellulose (sugar), and microcrystalline cellulose (more sugar). I was sick, so I grabbed the corn tortillas and to my dismay they contained eight ingredients; some of which were cellulose gum (sugar), propionic acid, phosphoric acid, guar gum, and amylase. But they were gluten free. What the ______! I refuse to eat either of those. (So is it bad that the unopened flour tortillas will go to our church pantry?) So after my run, after roomie and I vacuumed and mopped, I found a recipe to make Homemade Tortillas with only six ingredients and I could pronounce all of them. It took a total of 30 minutes and 15 of those were the dough resting. I had the fish done by the time I cooked the tortillas. It was super fun and they were amazing. I am so disappointed with processed food.
With the dough hook on my mixer, these took no time and were so good. Make sure you roll them super thin. The first ones I made, I thought were thin enough, but cooked a little thick, so the next ones were see-through. They had a little crunch and yet were soft. Of course they were also “fun” shapes. Round is harder than one would think, but that is part of the fun of it.
Recipe makes 16 tortillas
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
With the dough hook on mixer, mix all dry ingredients on medium speed. Combine oil and water and pour into flour mixture.
- Mix 1 minute. When the dough forms a ball, decrease speed to low and mix for 1 minute. (I had to add a little more water to get the dough to form a ball.)
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a well-floured surface. Divide into 16 equal balls. Flatten with your hand and cover with a clean towel. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat griddle or skillet to medium-high heat. Roll dough into very thin 6-7 inch circles.
- Place on griddle. Let cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes, flip and cook until golden brown. Remove from heat, place on place, and continue until all are cooked.
- After cooled, place unused tortillas in Ziploc bag.
150 days and 22.42 lbs till Disney Food and Wine