Let me begin with Es tut mir leid, Je suis désolé, Mi dispiage, Matokeo ya Utafutaji kwa, and sorry. I have been nothing but pure slack and I thank my readers who texted, commented, or Facebooked me to ask of my being MIA. If you can guess the four different languages above, raise your hand; if you guessed one I am impressed. (Answer at the bottom.) No weight loss or gain this week so I guess that is good since I spent a great deal of it on the road. Yesterday I spent all day working in the house then the yard, yeah! When I do something, out of the ordinary for my great mind, or stupid, my kids just look at me and say “Shady Pines, Ma.” Well after working all day yesterday Shady Pines looks pretty darn good to me. I bet not one of them have to do yard work. For anyone born of another planet this is a reference from The Golden Girls. This is one of my daughter’s favorite shows. She has the entire collection and can recite most of them verbatim. The series debuted Sept. 1985 and its show finale was May 1992. Four ladies, Blanche, Rose, Dorothy, and Sophia lived together in Miami. Here are some interesting facts about the show:
1. Estelle Getty, who played Sophia, in real life, was one year younger than her TV daughter Dorothy.
2. Eagle-eyed fans have noticed over the years that although there were four women living in the house, there were always only three chairs around that famous kitchen table. That was strictly due to the limits of filming—to avoid either squeezing all four shoulder-to-shoulder or having one actress with her back to the camera. Bea was always given the center chair, both because of her height and also in order to catch her priceless facial expressions in reaction to either Blanche’s remembrance of sexual encounters past, Rose’s St. Olaf story, or Sophia’s “Picture it!” monologue.
3. Dorothy’s last name was lifted from Kent Zbornak, who worked as the stage manager for the show for the entire run of the series.
4. Rue McClanahan had a clause written into her contract that she be allowed to keep all of Blanche’s custom-made clothing. She had 13 closets filled with the designer duds in her Sutton Place co-op in Manhattan.
5. Blanche had a different hair style every year of the series.
6. After 10,000 people signed the on-line campaign by the Lego Company the living room and kitchen of the Golden Girls is in the design process of becoming a Lego set.
7. The only member of the show alive today is Betty White.
Now that you are educated on The Golden Girls, it’s good to be back.
Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For some reason this recipe ran across my mind last week. I made these often when both children were home because they were healthy and quick. I am so glad I thought of them. I adaptedthis recipe in 15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender. I bought the recipe book when the Atkins Diet was all the rage in 2003. I can honestly say I never did the diet and this is the only recipe from this book I think I ever cooked.
8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ small onion
½ tsp black molasses
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
1 ½ tsp rice vinegar
1 pound ground chicken or turkey, white meat only
½ Tab corn starch
2 Tab water
Romaine lettuce leaves, separated and washed
Asian Dipping Sauce
¼ cup water
2 Tab soy sauce (I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
2 Tab rice vinegar
2 Tab ketchup
1 Tab lemon juice
¼ tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp chili garlic paste
(1 tsp Thai Garlic Chili Paste)
• Assemble all ingredients for the Asian Dipping Sauce, except the Thai Garlic Chili Paste, and mix well with whisk.
o Here is where I divide the sauce in half and put the very hot and spicy Thai Garlic Chili Paste in one half for roomie. If you remember the extra hot slaw debacle of 3.11.15, I am a bit more careful.
• Set aside.
• Place water chestnuts, mushrooms, and onions in a food processor and pulse just enough to chop everything to a medium consistency, not mush.
• Combine the soy sauce, molasses, garlic, and rice vinegar. Set aside.
• Heat a large skillet over high heat and add chicken, breaking it up as you stir. When meat is about half pink add the chopped vegetables. Stir-fry a few more minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add the seasoning mixture and salt and pepper. Let cook together for a few minutes. Mix the corn starch into the water and stir into the mixture to thicken. Remove from heat.
• To eat, wrap spoonsful of meat mixture in lettuce leaves, and dip into the dipping sauce.
• Warning these are delicious but messy. Forget a napkin; grab the roll of paper towels.
69 days and 17.22 lbs till Disney Food & Wine.
Answers: German . French, Italian . Swahili